Burning Furnace of Charity



This is a REAL ground-breaking photo. This photo includes no less than: 1 doctor, 2 senior pastors (1 American, 1 Mexican), 1 cheerleader-turned-missionary, 1 drug dealer, and LOTS of amazing friends who have given of their time, money, and sweat to begin building this house and community center. The neighborhood is a buzz with what is happening on our corner, and I literally can't believe it's happening. There has been some serious hard labor that has gone into this project in the last few days, and I am honored to have such a great church and friends who have so willingly been a part of this. Here are a few photos...

Pouring cement...





Even the kids got involved! They're working hard in my "kitchen."



We finished up the day with face painting...could you resist these faces?

11 Responses to “”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Looks like a wonderful day! I am so excited for you!

    Blessings,

    Brooks  

  2. # Blogger Gayla

    So happy for you and all of Reynosa! I wish I was there...  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    WoW! My heart leapt when I saw those photos. It's wonderful. jo x  

  4. # Blogger B'more Fair Food Committee

    AHHHHHHHHHH!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    I hope you can hear my screams and cries all the way from Baltimore!
    Can't wait to see it for myself :]
    I'm goin back to la frontera el 21 de diciembre hasta el primero de enero so expect to see me, martillo, brocha, tacos, flores en mano. (maybe i'll need more hands)
    Glad to see your life partner..church, i mean, be a part of it! :D
    Te quiero mucho, saludale a Nora y Lucia y los de mas :]
    *marina del golfo de mexico  

  5. # Blogger B'more Fair Food Committee

    tambien, i tried to send you an email and it got thrown back at me :[ what email addy are you using?? *m  

  6. # Blogger Jason Casey

    Yahoo!! Congratulations, Kelly, may the Lord be praised! Thanks for your faithfulness and your testimony - I posted about you on our blog today, did I get the facts straight?  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yeah Baby Yeah! Congrats and this major milestone. Hope your ok and you're having enough fun to refresh you from all your hard work. Lots of love, xc - dreaming of those warm Seville nights...  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    From some one who was there it was a GREAT Day and week. Thanks Kelly for letting us be a part of your Ministry. We will continue to Pray for You, Boystown, and Your Neighbors around You. See Ya soon Paul & Deb Schmidt/BC  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    KEEEEEEEEEHHLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!It's me Sarita!!! I'm back from New Zealand and I just read all of this...I'm soooooo jealous!!! I'll catch you guys the next time. Or whenever you need me to come.Cheers Mate!!!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Kelly,

    Hi. My name is Ali and I attend HTB church in London. Recently at a worship conference Pete Greig talked about your work in Boystown referring specifcally to a night of music and dancing at Nora's place, which really got my attention.

    In the summer of 2005 I made my first trip to Mexico to volunteer for 5 weeks with the Mexican charity Armonia (www.armoniamexico.net) which is a beautiful ministry, now 20 years old, working with local communities transforming poverty into life through the work of their community centres and other projects. Since that time I have made 6 further trips to Mexico (averaging around 10 weeks a year - mostly in el DF, but a few weeks in Oaxaca also). I have developed strong relationships with people in the Armonia communities and have fallen in love with the Mexican people and God has given me a massive passion for the Mexican poor, the children in particular. With Armonia I have been involved in many projects in various ways including teaching English to children in summer courses, translation for other volunteers, (mi espanol esta mejorando! Puedo hablar bastante bien ahora, y me gusta mucho hablando en espanol, aunque mi gramatica no es perfecta!), helping in the dental clinic (an experience!), construction projects and many other random activities. In the UK I am a primary school teacher and so am able to spend quite a lot of my holiday time in Mexico by the grace of God. There are some photos and stories from my visits in 2007 on my blog (going back to summer and easter) www.aboutlife.com/ali

    I have looked at your blog and have found it fascinating. I do not know exactly where God is leading me, but I have a strong impression that at some point I may end up living and working in Mexico, and your project is of great interest to me.

    I found an email address for you too, which I have sent this message to, I hope it is current!

    I hope to be in Mexico in April, God-willing. If not, then I will be in Mexico and free for the 2nd half of August. If possible I would love to visit you and find out more about your work, and of course be a further set of helping hands.

    Do not hesitate to contact me - I am sure you are very busy, but it would be great to hear from you.

    yours

    ali goucher

    aligoucher@hotmail.co.uk  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Kelly,
    This is my first time to ever make a post on a blog but I am looking for contact info. for yall's ministry. I am from Lubbock, Texas and work for the Texas Tech Wesley Foundation as a ministry intern. I heard about you guys listening to Pete Greigs sermon at Asbury Seminary in Kentucky. I also heard about you guys in a book about William Wilberforce. Anyways, the reason why I am writing this post is because I would like to come down to Boy's Town and pray with yall. My mom lives in McAllen, Texas so I will be driving to see her next Thursday. Reynosa is just seven miles from McAllen and I thought it would be cool to make the quick trip over. I would have no idea how to find you guys once I crossed the border in Reynosa and I dont know if yall take random visitors from Texas but if you do it would be great if you could contact me. My email is clifford112@yahoo.com. Anyways, I think what yall are doing is pretty awesome.
    In Christ,
    Cliff Holdridge  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Burning Furnace of Charity |