She was tiny and frail. I first met her just over a year and a half ago. When I walked in BT, she was wandering near the front gate, seemingly disoriented and with a bloodied bandage on her forehead. She said a dog had bitten her, but I knew better. We prayed, then she left. I saw Lorena a lot over the next 18 months. She lived behind the crack bar in one of the worst rooms I've ever seen. Her hair was always a rat's nest, her teeth were all gone, she had a horrible cough. Most people were not very kind to her, and it was clear that sometimes she was a punching bag for some. I learned that her father is a prominent businessman here in Reynosa. Though he offered her a home, she chose to stay in BT and feed her addictions. We washed her hair and styled it beautifully last summer. While she waited in our "salon," I discovered that chicken, corn tortillas, and pineapple soda are her favorites. So, she enjoyed those while waiting to have her hair done. Her smile was beautiful, but her eyes seemed distant. Maybe she was dreaming of a heavenly home. I learned on Wednesday that Lorena died recently. She had been dead for three days before Luisa found her. Luisa carried her body out of BT. It's not right that she died alone and wasn't even missed for so long. I'm going to miss Lorena on my visits to BT. Rest in peace, Lorena.
She was tiny and frail. I first met her just over a year and a half ago. When I walked in BT, she was wandering near the front gate, seemingly disoriented and with a bloodied bandage on her forehead. She said a dog had bitten her, but I knew better. We prayed, then she left. I saw Lorena a lot over the next 18 months. She lived behind the crack bar in one of the worst rooms I've ever seen. Her hair was always a rat's nest, her teeth were all gone, she had a horrible cough. Most people were not very kind to her, and it was clear that sometimes she was a punching bag for some. I learned that her father is a prominent businessman here in Reynosa. Though he offered her a home, she chose to stay in BT and feed her addictions. We washed her hair and styled it beautifully last summer. While she waited in our "salon," I discovered that chicken, corn tortillas, and pineapple soda are her favorites. So, she enjoyed those while waiting to have her hair done. Her smile was beautiful, but her eyes seemed distant. Maybe she was dreaming of a heavenly home. I learned on Wednesday that Lorena died recently. She had been dead for three days before Luisa found her. Luisa carried her body out of BT. It's not right that she died alone and wasn't even missed for so long. I'm going to miss Lorena on my visits to BT. Rest in peace, Lorena.
Latest
- Jo Wells and lots of Cup Cakes!
- Home, Sweet Home (some assembly required)
- Summer Missions with 24-7 Prayer
- I just spent an amazing few days with some new fri...
- Crystal
- Jailbirds, Dreams, Visions, and my everday life in BT
- Liliana and Sunday Lunch with Aunt Karina
- Land Rush
- First Church of Boys Town...or something like that
- Sunday Lunch in Boys Town

I remember Lorena. I'm so sorry she died alone.
KG- I wish I was on the plane w/ The Sally coming to be with you and the women of BT for a week. I actually feel kind of jealous. Is that crazy? I miss you and love reading these updates. The cupcakes look yummy and the flowers gorgeous. I'm so glad Jo is there w/ you! I'm going to have to come soon and meet her.
Love you lots! Tots lots!
g
i remember seeing lorena at the 7-11 washing cars for food the day we cleaned in BT. i remember gathering up our extra lunch food and giving it to her, and i remember the look in her eyes as i handed it to her and told her jesus loves her. something about her eyes really drew me in and i have not forgotten her. though she may have been forgotten by those around her, i know the Lord knew her well and loved her dearly.
i'm so glad to hear about jo! it will be wonderful to meet her next month!
love you!
emily
Thank you for the wonderful remembrance. I love reading your posts.