Burning Furnace of Charity


Family, The Simple Way, and lots of Questions...

Our little community (plus our friend Claudia) hit the road this Easter! We picked up Jo from the airport on Friday and drove to see my parents in Houston. Jo had just returned from 2 weeks in language school in Antigua, Guatemala. It's a miracle - she's totally fluent! Okay, not quite fluent (neither am I!), but definitely on the road! We're glad she's back.

It was great to see my parents, though very briefly. I loved sitting around the table listening to Dad talk about how he drove around their suburb "looking for homeless people." He has been reading The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne lately, and is determined to be a different kind of church where he lives. (The truth is, my dad has always been a bit of a revolutionary sort of guy.) He and Mom are leading a small group now, and trying to live out together what it really means to follow Jesus. I'm inspired and encouraged by my parents who, in their 60's, refuse to allow life to just settle down and happen to them- they are squeezing every ounce of life and love out of what they've been given. I think they become my heroes again and again every day, simply because of the way they continue to love me and everyone else around them.

Speaking of The Irresistible Revolution....from Houston we drove to San Antonio to hear Shane Claiborne speak on Saturday night. Hearing him share in person the journey of community and loving Jesus was great. In fact, it was so great that we (& our friends Roland & Carolyn), like a bunch of groupies, followed him to Austin on Sunday night! We very sheepishly showed our faces for night #2, but were grateful for another opportunity to listen to him share his stories. On night #2, Shane asked everyone to consider leaving their shoes at the communion stations to be given to a homeless shelter not far away. It was beautiful to come to an altar, receive the body and blood of Jesus, then place your shoes on the pile already there. In the same way that communion reminds us of how we put together the broken body of Jesus, the shoes reminded me that we need each other. Sometimes I have, sometimes you have, but as Christ's Body, there should be no lack among us.



I felt my life being destroyed by the Gospel, yet again. I kind of thought the "damage" had been done with my big move to Mexico. Apparently, that was only the beginning. I wrestle with lots of questions here - what does it really look like to love and serve my friends in BT? What does it look like to let them be my friend? Is what I'm doing enough? And not "enough" in the sense of checking off some religious to-do list, but enough in that, if I call Jesus my friend, am I doing enough to wipe away His tears? To meet Him in His most "distressing disguises," as Mother Teresa put it? Dorothy Day said, "If you have two coats, you've stolen one." Have I stolen from the poor? from my friends? from Jesus? Not sure anyone can answer these questions for us, as it tends to be in the heart between Jesus and us.

I went to see Lucia and Blanca yesterday, only to find that Lucia had not been at the shelter since Sunday. On Easter, she took herself right back to Boys Town, leaving everything behind. I found her, drunk and a bit high, behind Nora's place. She was talking to a girl named Maria, who was clearly in need of a fix. My heart sank and shattered as Lucia, through tears, shared with me why she came back. She and Blanca had faced some problems in their friendship, and I'm not sure of the whole story, to be honest with you. I just cried with her and told her I loved her, but that I wanted to see her in a different place. I felt so angry when I left - angry at Lucia for going back, angry at Blanca for stirring up trouble, angry at the enemy for his stupid schemes, angry at God for not doing something more to stop it all. Thanks to Jo, I was reminded of the verse in Romans 12 that says, "...if you work with the disadvantaged, don't let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face. Love from the center of who you are..." I've always told people that I'm not here to love people in BT so they'll change - I'm just here to love the ones Jesus loves; the changing part is up to Him. That becomes more difficult to accept when people become your friends instead of your ministry. Pray for Lucia today, that God will carve out a place for her (or even that our landlord would allow us to take her in).

9 Responses to “Family, The Simple Way, and lots of Questions...”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    just so happens i'm in a prayer room trying to stay awake, so i'll be praying for you till i doze off..  

  2. # Blogger Gayla

    Wow Kelly. So many comments...

    First, your parents are amazing. They inspire me to look at my life as not just what God wants me to do NOW, but what God wants me to keep doing my WHOLE life. Gorgeous.

    Second- the shoes. Amazing. Beautiful. Thank God for revolutionaries like Shane, your parents, and YOU who are leading us all in a new way to live our faith.

    Third- I'm praying for Lucia today, and for Blanca and for you. Just living your life day to day the way you are doing is going to (and already is!) changing the world.  

  3. # Blogger Brian

    I would have been a shane groupy to  

  4. # Blogger nnena

    i want a chance to meet you and learn more about your work. I am a friend of Don's here in Macon... and there is a group of girls (5) who would love to get involved...  

  5. # Blogger Sohailah

    kelly - thank you for your honesty - thank Jesus that He sent you Jo - you are His face and heart. I am praying for a heart of rest for you today - that you will take rest with you wherever you go and to whomever you encounter.
    I love you, Friend  

  6. # Blogger Tanya Heasley

    Your parents look very loving and welcoming, God Bless them.
    Also, I love your honesty.
    I know that some of us can lack integrity at times but you have reminded me that being true to myself can be very liberating. God Bless you.  

  7. # Blogger Jude

    hey

    I just read Shane C too.. challenging to the n'th degree.. hopw you guys are doing well

    love JUDE  

  8. # Blogger Unknown

    Hey Kelly! Just wanted to say 'hi'. I read Shane's book a couple months ago - making me wonder if i'm really a Christian, and making me want to be one!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Kelly,
    I'm Amanda Geidl, and my family and I just started going to Believers in December. Angela Green is one of my new near and dear friends. I heard you speak on Sunday, and I was very encouraged. I am very excited about what you are doing in Boys Town; I know Jesus is too. Thank you for sharing your life so freely and openly. I pray Jesus will continue to use you to love on these precious people.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Burning Furnace of Charity |