Friday was Cubana's birthday, so I took a meal and cake and flowers into BT to celebrate. Initially, it seemed pretty bleak in terms of party-goers. The birthday girl disappeared while I was setting up the food in the bar. Just when I was about to let my disappointment get the best of me, Cubana returned with several folks in tow to celebrate her birthday. The party had begun, and even the juke box knew it - this mysterious juke box comes on and off at will, and blares anything from the Beatles to Los Tigres del Norte (a popular Tejano band). As everyone gathered around, I said, "alright - let's eat!"
"No, Kelly, you have to pray for Cubana first!" Praying in Spanish is kind of a challenge for me, but I just went for it. We thanked God for Cubana's life and prayed for many more years for her to know Him and glorify Him in her life. As I was praying, I became acutely aware that I was standing at the pole where many of those attending the party had danced at one point or another in their careers. It was by far the most unlikely "See You at the Pole" prayer gathering ever. (For those who are unaware, "See You at the Pole" was a yearly event where students in public schools around the country would gather to pray at their flag pole before morning classes. I, like many good christian teenagers, dawned my christian t-shirt and met at the pole, though I was unaware at the time of the foreshadowing in my life.)
Crystal was there, smoking cigarettes in all of her pregnant glory. I was completely annoyed by her indifference to anyone and everything, and decided I had better just avoid any conversation with her for the moment. After the party was over and we had finished cleaning up, I was chatting with some of the girls. I said to Crystal, "Do you know what I heard? I heard your baby doesn't like to smoke!" Admittedly, I said this in a tone of sarcasm - annoyed sarcasm. This drew laughter from everyone, even Crystal. Three months ago, I wouldn't have dared to say what I think to her. This is either a sign that her heart is slowly softening, or that I'm becoming more brainless. Either way, I'm grateful for the growing friendship, even one that allows us to be honest. I had taken Crystal to the doctor the day before, and we had a great conversation. I took her to the property that will soon be home to me where we talked about having dreams for your life. She told me she didn't have a dream for her life. "Well, I have a dream for your life," I told her. "I hope that soon, when you're ready to leave drugs behind, you can run your beauty salon out of the home that will be built here. Then, one day, you can have your own place and I'll send all of my friends to get their hair cut by you." Her face lit up, and I hope this sparked a new dream in her heart.
One of the girls asked me if I have a job here in Reynosa. "I live by faith," I said, not even thinking about how strange that must sound. I've never shared that with anyone in BT before as it hasn't really come up in conversation. I often think about how most of them work in there because they're desperate to make ends meet for their kids or families they've left behind. I always struggle with asking them to leave that way of life because I wonder how they will be able to support children or even themselves on the wages of the average person here. Life is hard here, and working in BT often means more income than any other job available to them. But God has been so incredibly faithful to take care of all of my needs - why wouldn't He do the same for them? Am I not living in hopes of showing them the same Jesus who cares for me and knows my every need? Of course He'll take care of them. Amazing how He uses every detail of our lives to show Himself - His faithfulness, His mercy, His endless love - to those around us.
Speaking of His goodness and provision...some friends who were here last week building houses (www.strategicalliance.org) heard that we were preparing to take care of Crystal's baby girl (at night while she works). Knowing that we didn't have any spare baby items laying around the house, they threw me an impromptu baby shower! It was awesome and truly an answer to prayer. The site of all those diapers made me feel slightly overwhelmed at the way my life is about to change! I'm ready...I think. :)

All I can do is read and cry... I love your heart and spirit. I wish I could be involved - could I? Is there anything I could do that would matter? Would it be pointless for me to come down there? Could I be of any help? I won't be offended with any answer. By the way - this is the girl who saw you with your rat tail haircut and loved you ALL THE MORE!!
So great, KellY.
Love you lots!
Only Kelly could take See You at The Pole and transport it so vividly to Mexico! What great things God is doing with your faithfulness. He has given you a view of the beauty of the "marginal".
so, has she had her baby yet? keep us updated